Trees require a specific measure of care to stay healthy. Apart from an adequate supply of water and daylight, they should be trimmed occasionally. This pruning procedure is regularly known as “tree topping.” Topping is a more thorough type of pruning, in which the height of a tree is lessened either by cutting down the main body of the trunk or by cutting off big branches from its trunk. Tree topping is the ideal method to shape your trees and create an attractive garden. A few trees can be trimmed into certain patterns to compliment one’s home.
The main purpose behind tree topping is to eliminate the risk factor for storm damage. The probability of strong winds affecting a tree depends mainly on the length of the trees’ limbs and its height. Proper topping reduces the potential risk of this occurring. Tree topping is also carried out to decrease impedance with electrical cables or a bigger tree without losing the tree. This type of pruning especially when electric poles are present require the services of a skilled professional. The benefits of tree topping are highlighted below:
- Appropriate topping can enhance the health of your trees by getting rid of branches that are dead or unhealthy. These branches are frequently hazardous, and getting rid of them lessens the risk of danger to your family and property. This will likewise avert additional decay.
- Tree topping enhances the general structure and appearance of the tree, shielding it from creating broad or frail branches. Topping prevents branches from crossing each other, growing with weak crotches and eventually competing for space in the crown.
- Tree topping will improve air flow and sun exposure all through the tree, which will enhance the tree’s health. Homeowners should ensure they look out for indications of sunburn, which frequently affects leafless deciduous trees during winter.
- Topping of fruit trees can really enhance the size and yield of the fruit. Fruit trees ought to be pruned before spring for shape and to uncover the centre of the tree to daylight.
- Like children, youthful trees are awkward and bumbling. They regularly develop in odd ways, and if left unchecked, those odd development lead to an ugly grown-up tree that will most likely be unable to flourish. Topping your young trees encourages them to develop in a way that is both healthy and aesthetic.
- If you live in a place that is frequently affected by fierce wind or storms, trees can cause significant harm when the weather gets unpleasant. By having your trees professionally topped, you are guaranteeing the wellbeing of both your family and your property when storms arrive.
Keep in mind that topping is a risky procedure that can undermine the life of the tree, and furthermore reduce the value of the surrounding property. The reason topping is frequently used as a last resort is a result of the risk it poses to the life of the tree. Evacuating parts of the tree’s trunk can cause serious pressure damage to the rest of the tree, putting it in danger of death. Getting rid of an excessive number of leaves from the limb can likewise debilitate the tree’s capacity to feed itself through photosynthesis. Ensure you consult a professional before choosing to top your tree yourself.